zzyw is an art and research duo formed by Yang Wang and Zhenzhen Qi in New York, 2017. It produces software applications, simulation, and text as instruments to examine the cultural, political and educational imprints of computation.
contact us through: hi [ at ] zzyw.org
Publication / Research
- 2022: Remaking Virtuality, Book Chapter, Digital Transformation in Design, Amherst College Press.
- 2020: Between Code and Mystery. ESP Culture Magazine.
- 2020: Architecting Emergence. Rhizome.
- 2017: The Ambition of Digital Interactivity. BLINK Magazine.
- 2017: Towards A Critique Culture in New Media Education. Art School Critique 2.0. Ragged Sky Press. Annadale/Princeton., New York 2017.
Residency / Membership
- 2022 Fall ~ Resident Artist, EYEBEAM, New York, NY
- 2021 Fall ~ Artist in Residence, BabyCastles, New York, NY
- 2020 Fall ~ Technology Resident, Pioneer Works, Brooklyn, NY
- 2019 – 2020 ~ Members, NEW INC, New York, NY
- 2015 Spring ~ Resident Artists, Laboratory Residency, Spokane, WA
- 2023 Spring ~ Adjunct Faculty, Computational Studio: Simulated, School of Art, The Cooper Union, New York, NY (Yang Wang, Zhenzhen Qi)
- 2020 ~ Lecturer, New Media New Form, Teachers College, Columbia University (Zhenzhen Qi)
- 2019 ~ Lecturer, Theory and Practice of Interactive Media II,Teachers College, Columbia University (Zhenzhen Qi)
- 2018 ~ Lecturer, Theory and Practice of Interactive Media I,Teachers College, Columbia University (Zhenzhen Qi)
- 2017 ~ Guest Lecturer, Interactive Media and Visual Programming, Department of Transmedia Studies, Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts (GAFA) (Zhenzhen Qi & Yang Wang)
- 2017 ~ Lecturer, Digital Foundations, Department of Art Education, Teachers College, Columbia University (Zhenzhen Qi)
- 2017 ~ Lecturer, New Media New Form, Department of Art Education, Teachers College, Columbia University (Zhenzhen Qi)
- 2015 ~ Adjunct Assistant Professor, Programming Interactivity, Baruch College, City University of New York (Zhenzhen Qi)
- 2015 ~ Adjunct Assistant Professor, Multimedia Development, City University of New York (Zhenzhen Qi)
- 2015 ~ Lecturer, Introduction to Web Design and Development, Pi Art Center, New York (Zhenzhen Qi)
- 2014 ~ Guest Lecturer, Digital and Analog Game Design, Beam Camp, Beam Center, New Hampshire (Zhenzhen Qi & Yang Wang)
- 2014 ~ Guest Lecturer, Introduction to New Media, City University of New York (Zhenzhen Qi)
- 2005 – 2007 ~ Adjunct Instructor, Statistics, De Anza College, California (Zhenzhen Qi)
- 05/2023, Other Spring, Elektra Virtual Museum, Montreal, Canada
- 05/2023, Other Spring, HMG, Yongin, South Korea
- 03/2023 → 04/2023: Glitches in Love: A New Formula, Tokyo University of the Arts, Tokyo, Japan.
- 11/2022: Out of Sight, Infinity Games: Impossible Improvisation 无限游戏：不可能的即兴, West Bund Art & Design 西岸艺术与设计博览会, Shanghai, China
- 09/2021 → 11/2021: LENNA, Contingent System, Illingworth Kerr Gallery | Alberta University of the Arts, Canada
- 02/2021 → ∞: ThingThingThing, World On A Wire, Rhizome of New Museum @ https://worldonawire.net/
- 11/2019 → 12/2019: The Creativity Machine & ThingThingThing, As-Helix, National Museum of China 中国国家博物馆, Beijing, China
- 11/2018 → 03/2019: ThingThingThing, Bad Code, Power Station of Art 上海当代艺术博物馆, Shanghai, China
- 06/2018: ThingThingThing, On Collaboration, Macy Art Gallery, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY, US
- 06/2018: PRISM, .Zip Season 2, 3LD Art & Technology Center, New York, NY, US
- 03/2018: The Creativity Machine, New Texture, Czong Institute for Contemporary Art Museum, South Korea
- 03/2018: The Black Box, Another Internet, Refest 2.0, La Mama Galleria, New York, NY, US
- 02/2018: TV Man, UNCOMPRESSED, 3LD Art & Technology Center, New York, NY, US
- 09/2017: The Mind Ocean, The Black Box, Selfie, CultureHub, New York, NY, US
- 09/2017: Shell & PRISM, Riverside Art Museum 山水美术馆, Beijing, China
- 05/2016: The Mind Ocean, Calm Before/After the Storm, BHQFU Gallery, Brooklyn, NY, US
- 08/2015: Zero, Governor’s Island Art Fair, Governor’s Island, New York, NY, US
- 06/2016: LENNA, Chinatown Soup, New York, NY, US
- 07/2016: The Introspection Game, FL:EX Gallery, Shanghai, China
- 05/2015: The Introspection Game, Laboratory Gallery, Spokane, WA, US
Grant & Prize
- 2022 ~ 5th VH Award, Finalist
- 2021 ~ Lumen Prize, Shortlist – “LENNA”
- 2020 ~ Brooklyn Arts Fund – “Too Art, Too Game”
WANG Yang 汪洋
is an independent designer, a media artist, and a software engineer. Throughout Wang’s practice, computation is a tool for art-making and the subject of study. His work utilizes simulation to recreate conditions for critical examination.
Besides his independent art and research practice. He is an alum of New Museum-led art & tech. incubator NEW INC for the year 2019 to 2020, an alum of the Technology Residency at the New York-based art institution Pioneer Works. He was the former Technical Director of Shanghai-based new media art agency OUTPUT Lab, a former Senior Creative Technologist at New York-based architectural design firm Rockwell Group and the former Interaction Designer at New York-based interaction design firm Potion. He is a Fall 2022 resident of Eyebeam in Brooklyn, New York.
Yang holds a BA from the University of Science & Technology, Beijing (USTB) in Artistic Design and graduated from the Interactive Telecommunication Program (ITP), New York University, with a MPS in 2014.
QI Zhenzhen 漆贞贞
is an educator, researcher, and technologist from China, currently based in Brooklyn, New York. Since 2014, she has taught courses on interactive media, web, and game development at New York University, Teachers College, Columbia University, City University of New York(CUNY), and Guangzhou Academy of Art (GAFA) as an adjunct professor.
She has given talks and led workshops at Power Station of Art, New Museum, New York Creative Tech Week, Museum 2050, Asia Art Archive in America, etc. She is the recipient of the Creative Technology Fellowship and Macy Fellowship at Columbia University. She was a member of NEW INC, a culture and technology incubator at the New Museum in New York. She is a Fall 2022 resident of Eyebeam in Brooklyn, New York.
Zhenzhen holds a BS from the University of California, Berkeley, and a MPS from New York University, the Interactive Telecommunication Program (ITP). Zhenzhen is a candidate for Doctor of Education(EdD) at Teacher’s College, Columbia University. She is currently researching software simulation as a mode of collective re-making and un-looping.