What is zzyw
zzyw is an art and research collective formed by Yang Wang and Zhenzhen Qi in New York, 2017. It produces software applications, simulation, and text as instruments to examine the cultural, political and educational imprints of computation.
firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com
WANG Yang 汪洋
Yang is a computational media artist, a graphic designer, and a software developer based in Brooklyn, New York. He is the co-founder and Director of Art & Technology of New York based research & production studio power nap, and a co-initiator of the Discourse project. Besides creating his own artwork and working with QI Zhenzhen.
Besides his independent art and research practice. He also works at multi-award-winning, New York based architecture firm Rockwell Group as a creative developer. He is an alum of New Museum led art & tech. incubator NEW INC for the year of 2019 to 2020, alum of the Technology Residency at the New York based art institution Pioneer Works. He was the former Technical Director of Shanghai based new media art agency OUTPUT Lab, and was the former Interaction Designer at New York Financial District based interaction design firm Potion.
Throughout Yang’s practice, computation serves as both a tool for art-making, and the subject of study. His work utilizes simulation to recreate conditions for critical examination.
Yang holds a BA from University of Science & Technology, Beijing (USTB) in Artistic Design and graduated from the Interactive Telecommunication Program (ITP), New York University, with a MPS in 2014.
QI Zhenzhen 漆贞贞
Zhenzhen Qi is an educator, researcher, and technologist based in Brooklyn, New York.
Since 2014, she has taught courses on interactive media, web, and game development at Teachers College, Columbia University, City University of New York(CUNY), Guangzhou Academy of Art (GAFA) as an Adjunct Professor. She has given talks and led workshops at New York Creative Tech Week, Museum 2050, Asia Art Archive in America, etc. She is the recipient of the Creative Technology Fellowship and Macy Fellowship at Columbia University. She was a member of NEW INC, a culture and technology incubator at the New Museum, a technology resident at Pioneer Works, Center for Art and Innovation. She cofounded ZZYW, an artist and research collective which produces software application, installation, and text as instruments to examine the cultural, political, and educational imprints of computation. Her computational art has been curated by leading art institutions around the world such as Rhizome of New Museum in New York, and Power Station of Art in Shanghai, China. She is the co-founder and director of NYC based experiential production lab Power Nap Studio.
Zhenzhen holds a BS from the University of California, Berkeley, and a MPS from New York University, the Interactive Telecommunication Program (ITP). Zhenzhen is a candidate for Doctor of Education(EdD) at Teacher’s College, Columbia University. She is currently researching software simulation as a mode of collective re-making and un-looping.
Residency / Membership
- 2021 Fall ~ Artist in Residence, BabyCastles, New York, NY
- 2020 Fall ~ Technology Resident, Pioneer Works, Brooklyn, NY
- 2019 – 2020 ~ Members, NEW INC, New York, NY
- 2015 Spring ~ Resident Artists, Laboratory Residency, Spokane, WA
Grant & Prize
- 2021 ~ Lumen Prize, Shortlist – “LENNA”
- 2020 ~ Brooklyn Arts Fund – “Too Art, Too Game”
Selected Group Exhibition
- 09/2021 → ~~: LENNA, “Contingent System”, Illingworth Kerr Gallery | Alberta University of the Arts, Canada
- 02/2021-> ~~: ThingThingThing, “World On A Wire”, Rhizome of New Museum @http://worldonawire.net/
- 11/2019 -> 12/2019: The Creativity Machine & ThingThingThing “As-Helix” @ National Museum of China, Beijing, China
- 11/2018 -> 03/2019: ThingThingThing “Bad Code” @ Power Station of Art, Shanghai, China
- 06/2018: ThingThingThing “On Collaboration” @ Macy Art Gallery, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY, US
- 06/2018: PRISM “.Zip Season 2” @ 3LD Art & Technology Center, New York, NY , US
- 03/2018: The Creativity Machine “New Texture” @ Czong Institute for Contemporary Art Museum, South Korea
- 03/2018: The Black Box, Another Internet “Refest 2.0” @ La Mama Galleria, New York, NY, US
- 02/2018: TV Man “UNCOMPRESSED” @ 3LD Art & Technology Center, New York, NY, US
- 09/2017: The Mind Ocean, The Black Box, “Selfie” @ CultureHub, New York, NY, US
- 09/2017: Shell, @ Riverside Art Museum, Beijing, China
- 05/2016: The Mind Ocean, “Calm Before/After the Storm” @ BHQFU Gallery, Brooklyn, NY, US
- 08/2015: Zero “Governor’s Island Art Fair” @ Governor’s Island, New York, NY, US
- 2020~ Lecturer, New Media New Form, Teachers College, Columbia University
- 2019 ~ Lecturer, Theory and Practice of Interactive Media II,Teachers College, Columbia University
- 2018 ~ Lecturer, Theory and Practice of Interactive Media I,Teachers College, Columbia University
- 2017 ~ Guest Lecturer, Interactive Media and Visual Programming, Department of Transmedia Studies, Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts(GAFA)
- 2017 ~ Lecturer, Digital Foundations, Department of Art Education, Teachers College, Columbia University
- 2017 ~ Lecturer, New Media New Form, Department of Art Education, Teachers College, Columbia University
- 2015 ~ Adjunct Assistant Professor, Programming Interactivity, Baruch College, City University of New York
- 2015 ~ Adjunct Assistant Professor, Multimedia Development, City University of New York
- 2015 ~ Lecturer, Introduction to Web Design and Development, Pi Art Center, New York
- 2014 ~ Guest Lecturer, Digital and Analog Game Design, Beam Camp, Beam Center, New Hampshire
- 2014 ~ Guest Lecturer, Introduction to New Media, City University of New York
- 2005 – 2007 ~ Adjunct Instructor, Statistics, De Anza College, California
- 06/2016: LENNA @ Chinatown Soup, New York, NY, US
- 07/2016: The Mind Ocean, The Black Box, Sukhavati, Book of Happiness @ FL:EX Gallery, Shanghai, China
- 05/2015: The Introspection Game @ Laboratory Gallery, Spokane, WA, US